Saturday, June 7, 2008

Finally Here!

6/6/08 23:00 (6 hours ahead of the US) : Exchange Rate 7.6 Rand/Maluti for 1 USD

LUMELA! (Hello) -pronounced Doo-Mel-Uh

Whew, talk about a Journey! Before my plane took off I was already meeting fantastic people at the airport like Aziza, a UN peace/administrator worker from Tanzania, meeting her started my trip and I knew that many great encounters were to come. I left JFK @ 11:00am with Emirates Airlines (talk about a nice airline with GREAT food). The next wonderful thing that happened was row 24 H, the exit aisle on the plane- yes ladies and gentlemen I has LEG ROOM. I met H, my friend in 24 I, together we hung out during the flight and played games together while flying…I also got to catch up on some movie watching. I was wearing an HIV/AIDS shirt (big surprise I know) and when I was up getting some water the flight attendants starting talking to me. I was probably with them for a good hour talking about HIV/AIDS. I felt really honored as well because one by one they pulled me aside and starting telling me their stories and concerns as well as asking questions. I think it’s so wonderful that people who I just met opened up to me- it was a really good feeling. Another good feeling was when they invited me to stay in Dubai with them for a few days on my way back (and they said they’d pay for me since I’m strapped for cash)! So we landed in Dubai after 12hours, I walked around the airport for 2 hours and met Melanie and her twins Skye & Shannon (adorable 5yr old identicals). They were on their way to Jo-burg as well. The girls and I played together while Melanie and I chatted about plants, people, and life in general. The girls kept me company on the plane, and btw- I had an entire row to myself! I kind of felt bad at first because there were people who had no extra room and here I had a plethora of space, but to be honest after my 12 hours flight, my ass was tired and I didn’t really give a shit: I sprawled out and passed out! We arrived in Jo-burg and I had dinner with Lauren, the program director for LeboHA, she was great and convinced me to eat ostrich, “ a south African tradition,” she told me. It was pretty good I must say! After eating my friends Caesar and Ntombi (who I met last time I was in South Africa) picked me up and took me to Ntombi’s house. We caught up, went out to dinner, and then again- passed out. I asked them, as well as several other South Africans about the “traditional ostrich dinner” and none of them had ever heard of people eating ostrich so I’m pretty sure Lauren was delirious from her plane ride! Caesar & Ntombi are genuinely kind people- Caesar gave me his new sweatshirt as a gift because I was cold (last time I got a new pair of shoes from out other friend Answer), they paid for all of my food and just took care of me. After the house alarm went off at 5am we woke up, went to breakfast and they took me to the bus station. We met up with Answer at the station and decided that I would have to spend a few days in South Africa on my way back (again they said they’d pay for everything)…I don’t really know why people are giving me all these gifts and offers, but I’ll take ‘em! J A 5 hour bus ride took me to another travel plaza that was very disorganized and chaotic. I had NO CLUE what I was supposed to do, up until this point everything was prearranged and I had tangible tickets in my hand- now I was winging it! I walked into what looked like a bus station and I met a girl who was traveling to Maseru (the capital of Lesotho) come to find out she was a cop and teacher (so I was lead to the right person). She helped me along the way through bus changes, customs, and helped me learn Sesotho (the language in Lesotho). This 2 hour kombi ride (which cost 70 Rand and was a much better deal than the 700 Rand taxi cap ride that was first offered to me) brought me into Maseru from there I met Sandy, a nurse practitioner/genuine sweetheart who is the “mama” of the group. She was so kind and brought me dinner, snacks, and breakfast for the morning. She sat and talked with me for about 2 hours and told me about all the wonderful things that are happening with LeboHA including the clinic that she opened and wants me to work in. I was not sure about the accommodations here but let me tell you- there is No Roughing Here! I’m currently typing in a 3 bedroom/2 bath house in a gated community with a living room, dining room, and kitchen. There’s running water and wireless internet (occasionally the electricity goes out but we have candles. I will be moving around in terms of places to live so I’m sure if the convent is my home base (so much for the Sister Act fantasy). Anywho, I’m off to bed now, out the door by 9:30 to explore with Sandy and her husband Phil.

KHOTSO (peace)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

im so glad that your trip went smoothly!! surprised that ppl are giving/offering you things... please brad... you're a hoot!!! im happy to hear that you have a comfortable and safe place to stay... i love the post keep em going!!! im glad i got to see you before you left..i miss you!!! ps-im watching family stone right now :) LOVE IT! hope to hear more sooon!!!

Jamie said...

Hey Brad!
So glad to hear you got to South Africa safe and sound. I love the postings, I hope you can keep up with them while you are there but sounds like you will be pretty busy.

If the mood strikes you and you want to do something fun for your lovely cousin ask the locals there about Dave Matthews (he was born in Johannesburg), it would be neat to know if he is well-known there...and no I am not stalking!!! :)

Keep "bullin" that water hon you don't want to get sick! Love ya your fav. cousin Jamie

Anonymous said...

brad!
im so happy you got there safely! im so excited to hear about all the rest of your adventures. Ill be living through you for the next month cause there is def nothing exciting going on in the vag.
love you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad so glad to hear you made it safely. Sounds like you are having a great time and what a great experience. I can just see you taking charge at the convent and having the nuns loving you. The kids sound great and I can just see that little girl taking to you wanting you to hold her all day, what a surprise. NOT....
Take care of yourself and I love the blogs. Please be careful...

Love you and I am so Proud of you.

Love Aunt kathy

Unknown said...

i miss you peter! im so happy your having a good time and your not only teaching, but learning a lot too! Do your thing baby! stay busy and have fun! MUAH!!!! love you, Darlene