Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Phelisanong

Well I just left Phelisanong which is a school/orphanage for disabled children...it's an AMAZING place! Sandy, the nurse practitioner I've been hanging out with, actually opened her own clinic there. Originally it was for the children but it was so popular that she opened it up for everyone! We've been working there seeing patients, and hanging out with the children which has been great. Looking out the window it seems like a painted mural of mountains with evergreen trees, fields of corn and wheat, and just pure beauty- words cannot describe it's magnificence! (I will try to attach pics to the blog).

Anywho- I'm living at the convent, Sr. Maria is 81 and a sassy lil nun- she's taking care of me. I'm living with 2 twentysomethings from the UK who are here doing some work at orphanages. They seem pretty cool so far and we've been having a good time together. We realized that we have all been waking up extremely early 5:30 or 6:30 every morning. No one is really sure why it could be because we are passed out by 10pm, maybe the anticipation of the day, and maybe the church bells that ring at 5:30 and then every 15min thereafter!!!

The children here are beautiful, each one is just adorable! I love them all. There is one little girl at Phelisanong who runs around with a shirt on, no shoes, no underwear, no pants (I don't really know why) but as soon as she sees me she runs up to me and wants me to hold her for the whole day!

I had Pappa today (corn meal/thick mashed potato consistency) one of the staple foods as well as some potatoes and some sort of fish thing that looked 'different' and tasted 'unique'...

Tomorrow I am off to Motebang hospital in Leribe to help Gillian (the nurse who's running the show) train Basotho (people of Lesotho) nurses. We will be doing skills training and teaching- it should be fun!

I am having an amazing time- the lifestyle is so relaxed and warm I'm so grateful to be back. Internet is not an everyday event for me, I have to go to the hospital to use it b/c the convent has no internet and occasionally no electricity- but we do have warm running water!

I will keep you posted and please email me and keep me up to date about your lives!

Sala Hantle (Stay Well)

No comments: